MAIN
Generator Bust
   

Best of Be
Destination: Downtown
Calendar
Carolina Wren Park
Business Resources
Walking & Jogging

First Friday

I Wish I Was

Downtown Diva on Face Book

Art in Public Places

Parking Guide

Downtown Guide

Wise Walks

Church Street

Downtown Stroll

* Site photos provided by Arnett Muldrow and Associates, Jim Simes, and the Media Services Department.

Attractions

 
 

Memorials

 
Church Street Time Capsule

Church Street Memorial and Time Capsule
Church Street Parking Lot between S. Main St. and S. McDuffie St.
Map It!
Downtown Anderson's Church Street was a thriving center for African American business and culture during the twentieth century. The street has recently been honored in the documentary film Trading Church Street, and a memorial plaque and time capsule (to be opened on February 14, 2032) can be found in what is now known as the Church Street Parking lot.

Church Street Time Capsule

Church Street Business Monument
West Church Street between S. Main St. and S. Murray St.
Map It!
The businesses and proprietors of Church Street, a thriving center for African American business and culture during the twentieth century, are memorialized here. The documentary film "Trading Church Street" chronicles the history of the street as told by former residents and business owners.

Anderson County Museum

General Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain
Anderson County Museum
202 E. Greenville St.
Anderson, SC 29621
Map It!
The General Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain welcomes visitors to the Anderson County Museum. It was cast by the Anderson Civic Improvement Association in 1904 and was originally located in the courtyard behind the Historic Courthouse. It is constructed of iron by the Anderson Machine and Foundry Company.

Law Enforcement Officers Memorial
Anderson County Courthouse Courtyard
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
The Law Enforcement Officers Memorial of Anderson South Carolina was dedicated to the brave men and women who have fallen during law enforcement service in our County. The memorial was dedicated by fellow officers in 1985 and is located in front of the new Anderson County Courthouse on Main Street.

1861-1865 Fallen Soldiers Memorial
Anderson County Courthouse Courtyard
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
The 1861-1865 Fallen Soldiers Memorial may be found in front of the new Anderson County Courthouse on Main Street. The memorial commemorates soldiers who fell at various battles during the duration of 1861-1865.

Other Attractions

 
Fountain

Fountain
Corner of E. River and S. Main Sts.
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
The beauty of this fountain is enhanced by the wrens, part of the “Bird’s Eye View of Downtown” project (see >www.downtownanderson.com/birdie.shtml.

Trolley Tracks

Trolley Tracks
In the east lane of North Main St. at Orr St.
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
See some of the original trolley tracks still on North Main St.

Places

 
Fire Museum

Anderson City Fire Department Museum
400 S. McDuffie St.
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
Experience an amazing collection of four fire trucks from the late 19th and early 20th century. The collection includes: a 1880s horse-drawn wagon; a 1911 American LaFrance hose and chemical truck, the city's first motorized fire truck has solid rubber tires and is driven by a chain drive; a 1915 Seagrave Motor Pumping Engine, the first with spring-loaded bumpers and a 1919 Seagrave Motor Pumping Engine. The museum also features other antique fire fighting equipment. Open Monday;Friday 9:00 a.m.;5:00 p.m. and by appointment.

Arts Center

Anderson Arts Center and Warehouse
405 N. Main St. and 110 Federal St.
Anderson, SC 29621
Phone: 864-224-8811
Fax: 864-224-8864
www.andersonartscenter.org
Map It!
The Carnegie Library began construction in 1905 and opened its door on February 27, 1908. Andrew Carnegie donated money for the library, Col. Joseph Newton Brown provided the property, and G.B. Casey was the architect. The library remained at this location until 1971. Visit the gallery located in the Historic Carnegie Library building and experience the artwork from local, regional and national artists.

Anderson County Farmer's Market

Anderson County Farmer's Market and Pavilion
402 North Murray Ave.
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
www.andersoncountysc.org
Farmers with fresh produce grown in Anderson County will sell their wares at the Anderson County Farmer's Market from June through November, and also hosts concerts, tournaments, festivals, family reunions, weddings, community meetings and more.

Anderson County Library

Anderson County Library
300 N. McDuffie St.
Anderson, SC 29621
Map It!
The Anderson County Library System is dedicated to providing access to information of all types and facilities for education, recreation, and personal development to the County’s residents, without regard to race, gender, creed, age or location.

Anderson County Museum

Anderson County Museum
202 E. Greenville St.
Anderson, SC 29621
Map It!
Phone: 864-260-4737
AndersonCountyMuseum.org
The Anderson County Museum is located on the site of the former Girl’s High School and was previously home to the Anderson County Library. The Museum collects, exhibits, interprets, and demonstrates items that illustrate the history of Anderson County to preserve its heritage.

Generator Park
Corner of McDuffie and Whitner Sts.
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
On the grounds of this 10,000 square-foot-park stands a century-old generator that once produced electricity for the Anderson area at the Portman Power Plant, paving the way for Anderson to become the "Electric City."

Wise Walks

Wise Walks
Located Throughout Downtown
The Wise Walks Public Art Project incorporates epigrams in front of a donor's property and other Downtown locations. Epigrams are etched on granite tiles and may be historical facts along with inspirational or entertaining bits of wit and wisdom. Brochure

Locations - East side of Main St.

  • Corner of S. Main and John Sts. Map It!
  • Corner of S. Main and E. Church Sts. Map It!
  • Corner of E. Benson and Main Sts. (southeast corner) Map It!
  • Corner of Main Street and E. Whitner Sts. (northeast corner) Map It!
  • Corner of E. Benson and S. Main Sts. (southeast corner) Map It!
  • 116 N. Main St. Map It!
  • 118 N. Main St. Map It!
  • 128 N. Main St. Map It!
  • 138 N. Main St. Map It!
Locations - West side of Main St.
Other Locations
  • 128 E. Benson St. (south side) Map It!
  • 110 E. Church St. Map It!
  • 300 N. McDuffie St. (east side) Map It!

Statues

 
Child and Dog Fountain

Child and Dog Statue
E. Church St. near S. Main St.
Map It!
Councilman Tommy Dunaway received this "Child and Dog" statue as a Christmas gift from his wife Debbie and their children. The statue represents the Dunaway family's love of life, children, and pets that they wanted to share with the Downtown Community.

Brass Cannon

"Old Reformer" Brass Cannon
Anderson County Courthouse Plaza
Map It!
Old Reformer is a brass cannon that was used by both sides during the American Revolution. It came to the Anderson area in 1814, and was next used to signal the secession of South Carolina in 1860. The cannon was memorialized with a plaque honoring Anderson Mayor Foster Fant, 1918-1922.

"Poetry"
Anderson County Library
300 N. McDuffie St.
Anderson, SC 29621
Map It!
"Poetry" is by Donald Hauger and Trena Marie Stern. She is the little girl lost in a book that welcomes visitors at the door of the Anderson County Library, and there are two more sculptures to be found inside at the children's department.

Vandiver Bust
Carolina First Bank
129 N. Main St.
Anderson, SC 29621
Map It!
The bust of Charles "Nap" Vandiver sits inside the foyer of the Carolina First Bank. Artist Zan Wells created the likeness of Nap, who was a banker for more than 50 years. Legend has it that kissing Nap's cheek before going in is good luck for receiving a loan.

Whitner Statue
Corner of Whitner and Main Streets
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
Born in 1864, Anderson engineer William Church Whitner produced a way for electricity to be conducted by wires to these mills using hydroelectric power, leading to Anderson's moniker "The Electric City." The statue, by artist Zan Wells, was unveiled on October 12, 2004 to commemorate the centennial anniversary of Duke Power. Anderson County received grant money from the Duke Power Foundation for its creation. The Whitner statue, located at the corner of West Whitner and Main Streets, has his face upturned towards the powered street lights.

Theatres & Music

 
Theater

ACTheater
133 E. Whitner St.
Anderson, SC 29624
Map It!
Phone: 864-224-9220
ACTheatre is located on the site of the former G.F. Tolly & Sons, a 4 story building that was established in 1858. After a fire, the store was rebuilt to 3 stories. The State Theater was also located in this building before transforming into ACTheatre.
Facebook PageACTheater's Facebook Page

Electric City Playhouse

Electric City Playhouse
514 N. Murray Ave.
Anderson, SC 29625
Map It!
Phone: 864-224-4248
Fax: 864-224-4248
www.ecplayhouse.com
Continually provides a variety of quality theatre experiences to the community.

GAMAC

GAMAC (Greater Anderson Musical Arts Consortium)
907 N. Main St.
Anderson, SC 29621
Map It!
Phone: 864-231-6147
www.GAMAC.org
Facebook PageGAMAC's Facebook Page
GAMAC includes the Chorale, GAMAC Chamber Orchestra, Anderson Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Singers Boychoir, Girl Choir, Youth Chorus, Electric City Big Band and The Dixielanders. It is proud to present a Masterworks, Anderson Symphony Orchestra and Youth concert series annually in addition to a variety of education and outreach efforts that entertain, educate and enrich lives in Anderson County.